Wayne Rooney has told troubled Derby County that he wishes to be “relieved of his duties as first-team manager” with immediate effect.
The 36-year-old’s contract with the club had another year to run.
The Rams have been in administration since September last year and were relegated to League One last season.
“I feel the club now needs to be led by someone with fresh energy and not affected by events that have happened over the last 18 months,” he said.
The former Everton, Manchester United and England forward said he had been “closely following developments” regarding the ownership of the club and informed joint administrators Quantuma of his decision at a meeting on Friday when they tried “tremendously hard” to change his mind.
“My time at the club has been a rollercoaster of emotions, both highs and lows, but I have to say that I have enjoyed the challenge,” Rooney added.
“I will remember my time at Derby with great pride and affection and would like to thank all my staff, players and of course the fans for their incredible support. I will never forget you and hope to see you all again in the near future and in happier times.
“Finally, I am aware that the club still have interested parties who wish to take over the running of the club. To them I say this, Derby County is a great club with a great history and great fans. I wish you all the best and much success for the future.”
The news came on the same day that property developer David Clowes announced a bid to buy the club after purchasing Derby’s Pride Park stadium.
His company Clowes Developments (UK) Ltd, have also given a loan to the club to allow them to start next season.
It followed the collapse of US businessman Chris Kirchner’s takeover plans on 13 June – a bid which Rooney had publicly backed in April when he was confirmed as the preferred bidder.
Derby are due to play Oxford United in their opening League One game on 30 July, but are still subject to an English Football League embargo and only have five senior players under contract.
In a statement, Quantuma said: “The joint administrators are very disappointed that Wayne has taken the difficult decision to leave the club and we have spent some time today trying to persuade him to stay but understand his reasons for wanting to go.
“We are extremely grateful to him for his excellent work in the face of challenging on-field circumstances in the 2021-22 season and admire the manner in which he has led the team, the club and the local community through various off-field issues.
“The joint administrators recognise that staff and supporters will be frustrated and equally disappointed by this news, but we all wish him, his wife Coleen and their four boys every success in the future and we are sure they will always be welcomed back.”
They added, however, that Rooney’s decision to leave would not affect “ongoing, positive discussions” about the sale of the club.