Voice-based Payments Industry Overview
The global voice-based payments market size was valued at USD 5.89 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.9% from 2022 to 2030.
The continued rollout of voice-based payments by financial institutions and retailers to seamlessly access personal data and understand customer behavior is expected to drive the growth of the market. Mobile payments platforms, such as Zelle, PayPal, and Venmo, have started rolling out voice-activated controls for their customers to carry out financial and banking functions. Conventional banks, such as Wells Fargo, are also adding conversational voice interfaces to their mobile banking apps to help their customers in accessing all the banking services.
The growing adoption of peer-to-peer voice-based payments worldwide is expected to drive the growth of the market during the forecast period. Several banks, such as Barclays and Royal Bank of Canada, among others, have started offering voice-enabled peer-to-peer payments to their customers.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Voice-based Payments Market
Barclays allows its customers to make voice-based payments using Siri, the virtual assistant offered as part of Apple Inc.’s operating systems. Similarly, Google Assistant allows Google Pay users to make peer-to-peer payments using voice commands.
The integration of voice-based payment systems in cars is also emerging as one of the major factors driving the growth of the market. Innovative services are being introduced aggressively to allow drivers to use voice assistants to pay for gas and make reservations in restaurants, among other applications, from within their cars.
Government bodies across the globe are continuously encouraging the companies offering digital payment solutions to enhance their offerings. For instance, the Government of India has invited proposals from fintech and start-up companies to develop innovative solutions that can potentially take digital payments to India’s marginalized areas. The proposals invited by the government include proposals for voice-based solutions facilitating digital payments using smartphones and other devices. The shortlisted ideas are expected to receive funding from the government.
However, the growing concerns over the level of security offered by voice-based payments are expected to restrain the market growth during the forecast period. The inability of voice assistants to understand different accents, especially non-American accents, is also expected to hinder the market expansion. On the other hand, the software and hardware at the point-of-sale terminals need to be upgraded if they were to support voice-activated technology. As such, the costs involved in integrating voice-based payments with Bluetooth and WiFi-enabled systems at the point-of-sale terminals equally do not bode well for the growth of the market.
The COVID-19 pandemic is expected to play a decisive role in driving the market growth during the forecast period. The popularity of contactless payment methods is growing as people worldwide are putting a strong emphasis on avoiding any potential exposure to coronavirus through contaminated surfaces. The growing preference for contactless payment solutions during the pandemic is particularly opening opportunities for rolling out voice-based payments. At the same time, several retail stores are also adopting voice-based payments as part of their efforts to ensure a safe and secure way of payment for the customers.
Browse through Grand View Research's Next Generation Technologies Industry Research Reports.
- Smartphone Market – The global smartphone market is expected to gain significant demand owing to the growing demand for mobile internet services and applications along with real-time need for information exchange. Constant technological advancements for enhanced experiences are expected to provide positive avenues to market growth over the next seven years.
- Voice And Speech Recognition Market – The global voice and speech recognition market size was valued at USD 14.42 billion in 2021 and is anticipated to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15.3% from 2022 to 2030. The market is anticipated to be driven by technological advancements and the rising adoption of advanced electronic devices. Voice-activated biometrics used for security purposes help in providing access to authenticated users for performing a transaction.
Voice-based Payments Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global voice-based payments market based on component, enterprise size, end-use, and region.
Voice-based Payments Component Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
Voice-based Payments Enterprise Size Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
- Large Enterprises
- Small & Medium Enterprises
Voice-based Payments End-Use Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
Voice-based Payments Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Market Share Insights
- November 2021: Google announced the launch of speech-to-text features that allow users to use voice input to add their account numbers to the app to initiate payments.
- January 2021: Amazon announced the launch of Alexa Custom Assistant, a service that allows device manufacturers and automakers to build their digital assistants. Fiat Chrysler would be the first automaker to use this service to develop a digital assistant for select vehicles.
- May 2021: The Indian Institute of Technology Madras researchers announced that they will collaborate with the Mobile Payment Forum of India members. The collaboration is aimed to create voice-based payments for digital money transactions.
- May 2021: Cerence, a provider of biometric authentication and voice-based payment services, announced that P97 Networks, a mobile commerce platform provider, has been added to the company's Cerence Pay partner ecosystem.
- August 2019: NatWest, a retail banking company, announced plans to trial voice banking with 500 of its customers. The trial envisaged allowing the bank customers to carry out a myriad of simple banking tasks using Google Assistant.
Key Companies profiled:
Some prominent players in the global Voice-based Payments market include
- NCR Corporation
- Amazon.com, Inc.
- PCI Pal
- Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Order a free sample PDF of the Voice-based Payments Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519