Surgical Robots Industry Overview
The global surgical robots market size was valued at USD 3.6 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 19.3% from 2022 to 2030. The shortage of physicians and surgeons all over the globe and the increasing adoption of automated instruments used for surgery are the major factors driving the market. The increasing investments by the regional and international players in the introduction of new and technologically advanced surgical robots are also positively impacting the market growth.
Furthermore, the growing prevalence of bone degenerative diseases and the rising number of hip and knee replacement surgeries due to the increasing cases of arthritis and osteoporosis are the major factors anticipated to fuel the market growth. For instance, according to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality report, over 4,50,000 hip replacement surgeries are performed each year in the U.S. In addition, as per the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) statistics, the total knee replacement rate for osteoarthritis has been increased by about 38% from 2005-2006 to 2017-2018.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Surgical Robots Market
In addition, increasing regulatory approvals for the robots used in surgery is one of the prominent factors aiding the market growth. For example, in 2019, Intuitive Surgical Inc’s Ion robotic surgical system received 510(k) FDA clearance. Moreover, the growing adoption of assisted surgeries like hysterectomies, the increasing number of robotic systems for surgical interventions, and constant investments and R&D activities with respect to automated robotic systems by the manufacturers are the key factors supporting the market growth.
Furthermore, several industrial strategic initiatives by top international players are anticipated to accelerate the market growth over the years. For instance, in 2019, Ethicon, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, acquired Auris Health, which is a developer of a robotic technology platform. This acquisition is aimed at supporting the expansion of Ethion’s digital surgery portfolio to combat lung cancer. In addition, Stryker corporation, in 2019, acquired OrthoSpace, Ltd., which has helped in increasing the company’s surgical equipment portfolio. Therefore, such industrial initiatives are expected to propel the adoption of robots and the growth of the market.
The technological advancements in the field of automated medical instruments such as the combination of cameras, high-definition 3D imaging, computing technology, sensors, remote navigation technology systems, robotic controlled catheters, and other accessories utilized for medical surgeries are also increasing the adoption of automated instruments, which is further anticipated to drive the market over the forecast years.
Browse through Grand View Research's Medical Devices Industry Research Reports.
- Image-Guided & Robot-Assisted Surgical Procedures Market – The global image-guided and robot-assisted surgical procedures market size was valued at USD 1.68 billion in 2016. It is anticipated to expand at a CAGR of 14.6% over the forecast period. Rapid technological advancements in medical robotics are expected to result in the growing adoption of robots in surgeries. The rising number of complex surgeries and trauma incidence are expected to further drive the market.
- AI-based Surgical Robots Market – The global AI-based surgical robots market size was valued at USD 5.0 billion in 2020 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 17.2% from 2021 to 2028. Robotic surgeries are gaining traction due to the increased efficiency and success rate provided by these surgeries, along with the “minimally invasive” nature of the surgeries. It has increased the penetration of advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence in the field of robotic surgeries, thereby boosting the market growth.
Surgical Robots Market Segmentation
Grand View Research, Inc. has segmented the global surgical robots market report on the basis of application and region:
- Surgical Robots Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 – 2030)
- Surgical Robots Regional Outlook (Volume, Units; Revenue, USD Million, 2016 – 2030)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Market Share Insights
- In 2019: According to an article published in Robotics Industries Association (RIA), 5G technology and robotic assistance were used to carry out brain surgery. Such activities signify the potential growth of the neurosurgery segment.
- January 2021: TransEnterix received CE Mark approval for its Intelligent Surgical Unit that adds AI-based capabilities and enables machine vision capabilities on the TransEnterix’s Senhance robotic surgery system.
Key Companies profiled:
Some prominent players in the global surgical robots market include:
- Stryker Corporation
- Smith & Nephew
- TransEnterix Surgical, Inc.
- Renishaw plc.
- Intuitive Surgical
- THINK Surgical, Inc.
- Zimmer Biomet
Order a free sample PDF of the Surgical Robots Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519