Silane Industry Overview
The global silane market size is expected to reach USD 1.4 billion by 2027, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc., expanding at a CAGR of 4.0% over the forecast period. High demand for silane as an adhesion promoter in the adhesives & sealants segment and as a coupling agent in paints & coatings segment is driving the market globally. The extensive use of the product in various types of paints and coatings used in the building & construction industry has led to a rise in its demand. Companies, such as Shin-Etsu Chemical Co., Ltd., Dow Corning, Momentive Performance Materials Inc., Power Chemicals Corporation, and Wacker Chemie AG, are among the top manufacturers of silane for paints & coatings industry.
Silane Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global silane market on the basis of product, application, and region:
Based on the Product Insights, the market is segmented into Alkyl Silane, Sulfur Silane, Amino Silane, Vinyl Silane, Epoxy Silane, Methacrylate Silane, Mono/Chloro Silane, Others.
- In terms of volume, mono/chloro silane products led the market with a share of over 35% in 2019. It is generally used to produce siloxanes.
- Mono/chloro product type also acts as intermediates in the production of ultrapure silicon, which used in the semiconductor industry, and as protecting agents for intermediates in the pharmaceutical industry. Mono/chloro silanes are used as coatings for glass surfaces & silicon and in the production of silicon polymers.
- Furthermore, amino products find application as a coupling agent, adhesion promoter, resin additive, and surface modifier. It improves the chemical bonding of resins in reinforcing materials and inorganic fillers. Amino-based product is also stable and reacts well with water, which makes it suitable for various applications.
- Also, vinyl silanes are used as crosslinking agents in the manufacturing of cross-linked polyethylene (PEX). They are also used as adhesion promoters and coupling agents in various end-use applications, such as paints & coatings.
- The growing demand for various silane products as crosslinking agents, adhesion promoters, and as coupling agents is projected to drive growth over the foreseeable future. Amino silanes are anticipated to reflect the highest consumption, globally, in terms of volume, on account of their widespread use in reinforcing materials, inorganic fillers, and more, across industries, such as plastic and rubber.
Based on the Application Insights, the market is segmented into Paints & Coatings, Adhesives & Sealants, Rubber & Plastics, Fiber Treatment, Electronics & Semiconductor, Others.
- In terms of volume, paints & coatings application led the market with a share of 29.7% in 2019. This is attributed to high demand for various silane products from different coatings applications, such as emulsion paints and automotive, aircraft, marine, interior & exterior decorative coatings.
- Furthermore, adhesives & sealants are used as crosslinking agents, adhesion promoters, reinforcers, and drying agents in a wide range of end-use industries. Silanes have a considerable impact on the properties of adhesives & sealants.
- Silane is used in the crosslinking of polyethylene and its copolymers for application in cable insulation and electrical wires. Silane-based plastic compounds are used in places where high-temperature resistance is required. In addition, these plastic compounds are used in hot & cold water pipes and natural gas carrier pipes.
- Multiple large-scale manufacturers are constantly investing in research activities to enhance their product portfolios to meet the extensive product requirement from growing end-use industries. Paints & coatings followed by adhesives & sealants are among the largest consumers of the product globally due to the product’s ability to provide excellent adhesion boost as well as it is a highly effective coupling agent.
Silane Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
The global market is concentrated with multiple companies that have an international presence. These multinationals have an extensive product portfolio. The industry also has a few small- & medium-scale enterprises across the Asia Pacific and Central America regions who are innovating new products to cater to the native markets.
Some prominent players in the global silane market include
- Gelest, Inc.
- Shin-Etsu Chemical Co. Ltd.
- Nitrochemie Aschau GmbH
- Silar (Entegris)
- Dow Corning
- Evonik Industries
- Wacker Chemie AG
- Power Chemical Corp
Order a free sample PDF of the Silane Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519