Primary Cell Culture Industry Overview
The global primary cell culture market size was valued at USD 3.4 billion in 2020 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.6% from 2021 to 2028.
The market growth can be primarily attributed to the increasing prevalence of chronic conditions, such as cancer, infections, autoimmune diseases, diabetes mellitus, cardiovascular diseases, and nephrological diseases. This has led to an increase in research, facilitating the high adoption of primary cell cultures.
According to the American Cancer Society, there are an estimated 16.9 million cancer patients/survivors in 2020. According to the WHO (2020), 71.0 million people worldwide are suffering from chronic hepatitis C infection. Hence, the rising number of chronic disorders being diagnosed is driving the demand for research on advanced therapies, which is expected to boost the market growth in the coming years.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Primary Cell Culture Market
In addition, the rising usage of primary cell cultures for in-vitro testing and drug screening can be further attributed to the growth of the market for primary cell culture. These are derived from tissues, which facilitates researchers to study cellular structure in the in vivo state, showcasing their normal functioning. As a result, they are used as model systems to study cell biochemistry and physiology, aging processes, signaling studies, and metabolic processes, as well as the effect of toxic compounds and drugs.
COVID-19 pandemic is acting as a positive catalyst for the growth of the market for primary cell culture. Researchers are increasingly using primary cell culture for understanding the infection. Standardized and characterized epithelium cell culture models are facilitating the understanding of the physical barrier destroyed by the coronavirus. These models can help mimic the functions and properties of the respiratory tract, leading to a breakthrough for a research outcome turning into a medical application.
Moreover, the primary immune cell culture has been proven to be very beneficial in the study of immune repertoire to produce antibodies and antigens for the COVID-19 virus. As per the findings by the scientists from the German Primate Center in Gottingen, the COVID-19 virus could block the infection in lung cells with TMPRSS2, an inhibitor for serine protease. The results have been validated with the experiment using primary cell culture.
Browse through Grand View Research's Biotechnology Industry Research Reports.
- Stem Cells Market – The global stem cells market size generated a revenue of USD 9.38 billion in 2020. It is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.8% from 2021 to 2028. The factors contributing to the growth include increasing demand for biologics, technological advancement in stem cell therapeutics, and a growing focus on the development of personalized medicines.
- Regenerative Medicine Market – The global regenerative medicine market size was valued at USD 27.29 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.27% from 2021 to 2027. The emergence of gene therapy coupled with the developments in stem cell and tissue engineering are expected to fuel the market growth.
Primary Cell Culture Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global primary cell culture market based on product, separation methods, cell type, application, and region:
Primary Cell Culture Product Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- Primary Cells
- Reagents and Supplements
- Attachment Solutions
- Buffers and Salts
- Freezing Media
- Growth Factors and Cytokines
- Fat Cells Media
- Blood Cells Media
- Nerve Cells Media
- Bone Cells Media
- Endothelial Cells Media
- Skin Cells Media
- Muscle Cells Media
- Stem Cells Media
Primary Cell Culture Separation Methods Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- Explant Method
- Enzymatic Degradation
- Mechanical Separation
Primary Cell Culture Cell Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
Primary Cell Culture Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- Tissue Culture & Tissue Engineering
- Vaccine Production
- Gene Therapy and Regenerative Medicine
- Toxicity Testing and Drug Screening
- Cancer Research
- Model System
- Prenatal Diagnosis
- Stem Cell Therapy
Primary Cell Culture Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Market Share Insights
- January 2021: Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. launched a new medium for the expansion of human T lymphocytes for allogeneic cell therapies.
- March 2020: Researchers at China’s Centre for Disease Control (CDC) grew lung airway cells from human tissue culture systems to propagate SARS-CoV-2.
Key Companies profiled:
Some prominent players in the global primary cell culture market include
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Corning Incorporated
- PromoCell GmbH
- FUJIFILM Irvine Scientific, Inc.
- Axol Bioscience Ltd.
Order a free sample PDF of the Primary Cell Culture Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519