Malaria Diagnostics Industry Overview
The global malaria diagnostics market size is projected to reach USD 1.2 billion by 2030, expanding at a CAGR of 5.4%, according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc. Rising prevalence of the tropical disease in endemic countries, development of novel diagnostic techniques, and rising investments by regional governments and private investors are expected to propel market growth. Malaria is one of the most widespread life-threatening diseases, commonly occurring in the tropical and subtropical regions due to changing climate, low economic growth, underdeveloped healthcare infrastructure, and lack of access to advanced treatment.
Malaria Diagnostics Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global malaria diagnostics market on the basis of technology and region:
Based on the Technology Insights, the market is segmented into Microscopy, Rapid Diagnostic Tests (RDTs), Molecular Diagnostic Tests.
- The Rapid Diagnostic Tests (RDTs) segment dominated the market and accounted for a revenue share of 53.7% in 2021.
- Microscopy was the second-largest segment owing to intermittent usage of the technique for disease diagnosis. It is one of the traditional and most reliable methods for the diagnosis of the disease. According to the estimates from WHO, over 204 million microscopic malarial tests were conducted globally.
- Additionally, the parasite density can also be quantified to accordingly design treatment plans. The molecular diagnostic test segment is expected to witness the fastest growth over the forecast period due to the accurate diagnosis offered by these tests.
- Molecular diagnostic tests include conventional Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) and quantitative or Real Time-PCR (qPCR). The usage of qPCR using DNA extracted from blood samples has been used to detect low parasite counts or mixed infections. These tests are accurate, highly sensitive, and capable of detecting low parasite count.
- An RDT is another method used for detecting specific malaria antigens in the blood sample. Estimates from WHO indicate that over 312 million RDTs were delivered globally in the year 2016.
- According to National malaria control program reports and sales data from manufacturers, 225 million P. falciparum tests were delivered in Africa, while the remaining were combination tests for P. falciparum, P. malariae, P. ovale, and P. vivax.
Malaria Diagnostics Regional Outlook
- Southeast Asia
- Eastern Mediterranean
- Western Pacific
Key Companies Profile & Market Share Insights
For instance, bioMérieux has a vast network of distributors in more than 150 countries through 42 subsidiaries providing diagnostic solutions. Some of the prominent players in the malaria diagnostics market include:
Some prominent players in the global malaria diagnostics market include
- Access Bio., Inc.
- Abbott Laboratories
- Premier Medical Corporation Pvt. Ltd.
- Sysmex Partec GmbH
- Beckman Coulter, Inc.
- Siemens Healthineers
- Leica Microsystems GmbH
- Nikon Corporation
- Olympus Corporation
- Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.
Order a free sample PDF of the Malaria Diagnostics Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519