High Potency Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients Industry Overview
The global high potency active pharmaceutical ingredients market size was valued at USD 20.39 billion in 2020 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8.4% from 2021 to 2028.
The increasing prevalence of cancer, the growing applications of high potency active pharmaceutical ingredients (HPAPIs), and the growth of targeted therapies are anticipated to accelerate the market growth in the forecast period. The demand for HPAPIs is continuously growing globally owing to the rise in cancer therapeutics. Cancer is considered one of the prominent health hazards due to the increasing number of people being affected by the disease. The cases of COVID-19 infections are rapidly growing and many countries have approved the use of antiviral drugs, which are high potency molecules. For instance, remdesivir has received approval for COVID-19. The drug is currently approved for the treatment of SARS-CoV-2 in the U.S., the U.K., India, Singapore, Israel, EU, Taiwan, and Japan.
Loss of exclusivity of key drugs is anticipated to be another factor supporting the growth of the market. For instance, by 2024, more than 27 cancer treatment molecules are likely to face a loss of exclusivity in many major markets. This includes multimillion revenue-generating drugs: Sutent by Pfizer, Inc. (in 2021) and Revlimid by Celgene (Bristol-Myers Squibb Company). This loss of exclusivity is anticipated to increase competition for developing molecules among other players entering the high potency APIs market.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global High Potency Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients Market
Cancer remains a major cause of morbidity and mortality worldwide. The advent of highly potent medicines and treatments, such as precision medicine and targeted, tailor-made treatments is expected to increase treatment options. Chemotherapy has several side effects, such as it affects non-cancerous cells. Hence, targeted therapy is gaining popularity as it does not harm non-cancerous cells. This is likely to increase the demand for HPAPIs in the coming years.
Hospitals and healthcare institutes are working closely with pharmaceutical companies for conducting clinical trials, which is promoting the growth of targeted therapies. For instance, the Human Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor 2 (HER-2) protein is targeted for the treatment of breast cancer as the protein is found in abundance in cancer cells. Stomach and breast cancer cells overexpress the protein and thus HER-2 receptor antagonists, like trastuzumab, are used. Moreover, researchers are engaged in the development of a range of targeted products, including Janus kinase (JAK) 3 inhibitors, selective S1P receptor modulators, human interleukin inhibitors, and dihydroorotate dehydrogenase inhibitors.
Browse through Grand View Research's Pharmaceuticals Industry Research Reports.
- Antibody Drug Conjugates (ADCs) Market – The global antibody drug conjugate market size was valued at USD 4.3 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 23.7% from 2021 to 2028. Major advancements in linker technology coupled with increasing investment in R&D are expected to drive the market.
- Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) Market – The global active pharmaceutical ingredients market size was valued at USD 187.76 billion in 2020 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.6% from 2021 to 2028. The growth can be attributed to the advancements in active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) manufacturing and the rising prevalence of chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular diseases and cancer. Favorable government policies for API production, along with changes in geopolitical situations, are boosting the market growth.
High Potency Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global high potency active pharmaceutical ingredients market on the basis of product, manufacturer type, drug type, application, and region:
- High Potency Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients Product Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- High Potency Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients Manufacturer Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- High Potency Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients Drug Type Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- High Potency Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- Hormonal Disorders
- High Potency Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2028)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Market Share Insights
- October 2019: Sanofi announced the opening of its manufacturing unit that complements the production of biologics and biopharmaceutical products. Market players leverage licensing and partnerships strategy to increase their production capabilities and promote the outreach of their product offerings.
- July 2020: Albany Molecular Research, Inc. (AMRI) announced a partnership with BioSig Technologies, Inc. for the supply of merimepodib for the manufacturing of antivirals for the treatment of SARS-CoV-2. This supply agreement enables the company to sustain itself in the market and generate higher revenue.
Key Companies profiled:
Some prominent players in the global high potency active pharmaceutical ingredients market include
- BASF SE
- Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd.
- CARBOGEN AMCIS AG
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries, Ltd.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Albany Molecular Research, Inc.
- Sanofi S.A.
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Novartis AG
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH
- Cipla Inc.
Order a free sample PDF of the High Potency Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519