Biogas Industry Overview
The global biogas market size was valued at USD 60.06 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.3% from 2022 to 2030.
The market is expected to witness growth on account of the rising product demand from various applications such as electricity, heat, vehicle fuel, upgraded biogas, and cooking gas. Shifting focus toward the use of renewable energy, particularly in the electric power sector, has significantly driven the demand for biogas in electricity applications. In addition, the increasing need to reduce dependency on fossil fuels is creating lucrative opportunities for biogas in vehicle fuel applications.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Biogas Market
The U.S. is one of the largest markets for biogas in North America in 2021 and is projected to grow at a significant CAGR in terms of value over the forecast period. The United States government has introduced several regulations to lessen its dependency on conventional fuels and meet the goal of zero carbon emissions. Significant factors that are influencing the biogas market growth such as favorable regulatory & political support, environmental support, customer support, and geopolitical support, agricultural and economic support.
The demand for biogas in North America is primarily driven by the U.S. The growing demand for the product in applications, such as cooking gas, electricity, vehicle fuel, heat, and others, is expected to have a positive impact on the industry growth over the forecast period. Major factors supporting the growth of the market include high demand for green fuels, stringent environmental regulations, and increased investment in the development of refineries.
The abrupt onset of the COVID-19 pandemic caused an industrial lockdown that brought all manufacturing activity to a grinding halt in most industries around the world. Hence, it has also impacted product demand in heat generation applications. Sluggish industrial activities have reduced the demand for heat consumption, thereby negatively affecting the demand for biogas.
Browse through Grand View Research's Renewable Energy Industry Research Reports.
- Carbon Dioxide Market – The global carbon dioxide market size was valued at USD 3.68 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.3% from 2022 to 2030. Increasing utilization of Carbon Dioxide (CO2) for Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) and its surging usage in food & beverages and medical industries are anticipated to fuel the growth of the global market during the forecast period.
- Renewable Energy Market – The global renewable energy market size was valued at USD 768.9 billion in 2021 and is projected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 16.6% from 2022 to 2030. The shift toward low-carbon fuels and the presence of stringent environmental regulations in most developed countries have provided a major boost to the renewable energy sector.
Biogas Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global biogas market based on source, application, and region:
Biogas Source Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2019 – 2030)
- Food Scrap
- Swine Farm
- Agricultural Residue
Biogas Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Million; 2019 – 2030)
- Vehicle Fuel
- Upgraded Biogas
- Cooking Gas
Biogas Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2019 – 2030)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Central & South America
- Middle East & Africa
Market Share Insights
- March 2021: Eni SpA (BIT: ENI) has agreed to buy an Italian biogas company from FRI-EL Greenpower, a Gostner family holding, through its circular economy subsidiary Ecofuel.
- June 2020: Repsol, which is a Spanish fuel company, announced the development of an industrial-scale biogas project
Key Companies profiled:
Some prominent players in the global biogas market include
- Agrinz Technologies GmbH
- Air Liquide
- DMT International
- Gasum Oy
- HomeBiogas Inc
- PlanET Biogas
- Scandinavian Biogas Fuels International AB
- Schmack Biogas Service
- Xebec Adsorption Inc
Order a free sample PDF of the Biogas Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519